• « First

Experimental technique meet Dawn

#151 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:32 AM

YES! IT WORKS! And I only had just a little bit of grey placenta to erase off. It does look better with background, perhaps I'll keep the original photoshop file and see if I can come up with something nifty in a background layer.

EDIT: OK, here we go:

Tried to do some anti-aliasing, fixed up the shadows on left thigh and hand, uhh, forgot to raise the brightness, but screw that. I think that's it. Any better?

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 05 April 2007 - 02:41 AM

#152 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:53 AM

Aye, screw raising the brightness, it definitely looks better with darker tones.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#153 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

David Kyo... I fucking hate you for how well you draw in such a short time.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#154 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:55 AM

Thank you, Otal. By the way, I started on another project, stay tuned... devil.gif

#155 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:57 AM

All right, here's the second picture of lovely little Natsumi-chan:

This will probably get a lot more negative critique. I'm not nearly as satisfied with it as I was with the previous one, but I can't put my finger on what's wrong.

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 07 April 2007 - 03:01 AM

#156 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:23 AM

Ain't got much time right now, gotta hurry things a bit, BUT~~

I'M FINALLY DONE! yell.gifWoo!

Tried to make it look as realistic as possible, used tons of reference pictures, tried to imitate parts of them and assembled everything in the final picture. Kinda like Frankenstein. :/ Hope she'll behave a bit better, though. Reduced visibility of lines a lot.

There's supposed to be two light sources (a feeble method of making all that patchwork a bit easier for me, sorry), dunno if I did that stuff right, though.

Okay, here she is.

Lani

Inspired by the most horrible, frightening and painful dream a human being could ever imagine.

Made another one of those funny creation animations, if you wanna look at it. It's about 450kb in size, I think. Here it is.

Gotta run now, later everyone.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#157 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

o_O *blink*

Wow.

Are you sure you did that yourself? You didn't take a photo and alter it?

Wow. That's really awesome, Gobbler. And the only criticism I can think of is just a personal preference; I don't care for how the hair is blurred along the edges. But it doesn't really take much away from it for me or anything. Beautiful, Gobbler.

And David-Kyo, she looks a little funny to me, because she's smoking. And when people smoke, they make funny faces, like the one she's making. I love how you've done what she's wearing, but the shadows on it are a lot more pronounced than the ones on her skin, so I think maybe you could exaggerate some of her face and arm shadows a little more. But it's still really good, I just wish she weren't smoking tongue.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#158 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Apr 7 2007, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you sure you did that yourself? You didn't take a photo and alter it?

Not quite. Like I said, I had tons of references and always moved at the edge of stealing stuff. Take her ear, for example. That's actually a mixture of three different photographs. I've become pretty good at creating the lineart, so that part was under my own jurisdiction (almost anime-style hair! Woo!), but I was a bit lost when it came to colouring, so I used the references for that.

I just parted my workspace, with the real photograph to the right and the drawing to the left and did the good ol' "look how it looks on the right - select colour - dot on the left - lower oppacity - dot some more - smudge - correct colour values" method. Wasn't always that easy because there were hardly any references that featured the exact same position of the part which I was drawing at the moment. The ear was rather simple. The part under her chin... surprisingly not. And don't even get me started on her nose.

I really hope that nobody comes a-yellin' "Cite your Sources!", coz then I'd have to upload almost two complete photo-albums. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Apr 7 2007, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow. That's really awesome, Gobbler. And the only criticism I can think of is just a personal preference; I don't care for how the hair is blurred along the edges. But it doesn't really take much away from it for me or anything. Beautiful, Gobbler.

Thanks, and yeah, I couldn't resist doing that again, sorry. pinch.gif Wasn't my intention at all, did it kinda by accident and then thought something like "Ohhhhhhhhhh shiny! :3"... again... pinch.gif

Originally, her hair was a few steps darker, but I kinda like it more like this, what with the all-white background and the general brightness.

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Apr 7 2007, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This will probably get a lot more negative critique. I'm not nearly as satisfied with it as I was with the previous one, but I can't put my finger on what's wrong.

Hmm... it appears as if her body proportions aren't right, I suspect that effect is created by the shading somehow. Initially, my first thought was that the shadows were largely missing.

Oh, oh, and I think you drew too much of her head... uh... or not enough hair... or maybe it's just that her hairline's looking a bit distorted...

I'd say her left thumb and her right middle and index finger need to be touched up a little, too.

And yeah, I feel your pain about being unable to put your finger on what's wrong. It's always that little stuff that makes all the difference. LIKE THOSE HELLISH SHADOWS THAT NOSES CAST! yell.gif ... umm... eh... sorry about that... ^^;

Out of reflex, I'd darken the parts around her eyes and lips a bit to give them more depth... and... hmm... *looks a bit closer*... from my experience, closed lips stretch at least from one nostril to the other, usually more than that though, but since she's smoking, it might very well be that you instructed her to make that smug-smoker-face-thingy, then it's alright, I guess.

So much for that. So, Natsumi-san wa nihonjin desu ka? Would explain that initial "+3 Cuteness" thought that ran through my head. >_<

#159 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:32 AM

Gobbler, you sneaky bastard, you one-upped me. Congratulations, it's beautiful. smile.gif
Thanks for the constructive criticism, both of you, I shall look into it immediately after I sober my arse up. Yeah, I fucked her hair up a bit, and perhaps the shading needs more work as well. Guess I'll try get over my prejudice against filters, too.

She's not Nihonjin, she's Hangaríjin, but that cuteness factor you mentioned applies indeed. She has a small frame combined with a femme fatale personality, quick temperament and a great sense of humour. You probably know the type. wink.gif

#160 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:55 AM

Any better?

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 08 April 2007 - 09:00 AM

#161 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:34 AM

Gawd, now that I look at it with 100% sober eyes, she does look a bit like a crackwhore, as some other, less tactful people already pointed it out. I think I'll cut off the head and start over.

NOTE TO SELF: Don't try to create and evaluate artwork when drunk.

#162 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

Ok, I decided to complete the first picture that is universally deemed "not shit":

The title is Blue Monday.

#163 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:14 PM

Dave: Second picture (with cigarette): The clothing wrinkles look great, both in rendering and in lighting, but her hair doesn't look like it's attached to her head.

Goblerstopper: That is an amazingly beautiful rendition of a beautiful woman. You get major kudos. My one complaint is that there's so much white space above and below her, and my file-size saving side goes "Aargh, crop!" tongue.gif Composition wise, there's no problem with the whitespace. You also need to share that dream.

Both of you need less Japanese culture, or at least an English translation of what you're saying, so the rest of us can tell what the heck you're talking about. tongue.gif

Edit: Whoa, new picture. Blue Monday, eh? How does it feel?
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#164 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

I was basically just asking if Natsumi was Japanese by any chance, so don't worry, it's nothin' serious. biggrin.gif I've only memorized tons of Japanese vocabulary and notes on etymology, yet can hardly form a single sentence in it.

Share that dream... huh... unsure.gif

That's... a bit difficult. But hey, I'm known for fulfilling people's wishes and so I shall venture to Miss Rhubarb's good ol' Dreams thread. Oh boy...

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 09 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

#165 User is offline   setasouji Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:45 PM

David: What tool are you using for the linework? I'd hazard a guess that it's the line tool, and I have to agree with Gobbler that the jagged edges are a mite distracting; I'd suggest using the airbrush tool or running the blur tool over the edges (assuming it's not purposeful).

I would say something to Gobbler, but I won't because it's perfect and amazing and I hate him.

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size