Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Crappy Survival Skills Luke would have probably died

#1 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

You know, my cold weather survival skills arent as stellar as they used to be. But it seems to me that placing a hypothermic person in warm wet guts, is only a good idea if you can guarantee the guts will stay warm. After about 20 min (and that’s a pretty conservative estimate) those white squiggly things are gonna get really cold. I never thought about it before, but that was a pretty stupid move on Han’s part.

I would think that - being on a military base located on a planet of ice, snow and subzero temps, Han probably could have borrowed a tent or something just in case he didn’t make it back. That way, he could have warmed look with his own dry body.

I don’t know.

god knows why i just spelled Luke - look . blink.gif

i think its bedtime

#2 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:06 PM

WHy the hell didnt luke just stay in the cave instead of purposley running out into a blizzard.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#3 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Revan-47 @ Jan 25 2006, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHy the hell didnt luke just stay in the cave instead of purposley running out into a blizzard.

maybe he sensed more wampas...

... then again... he did have a frickin lightsaber

#4 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

Lightsaber Vs Wampas.

Lightsaber 1, Wampas 0

Next round.

Lightsaber VS Blizzard.

Lighsaber 0, Blizzard 1.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#5 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:28 PM

laugh.gif
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#6 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

Used to be; Han's line was "this'll keep you warm, until I get a shelter built" and now it's "until I get the shelter up." Apparently, Han was familiar with how to use the Rebel Ice Planet Survival Kit, and not the mountain man I thought he was.

When I saw the name of this thread, I was thinking it was referring to his Dagobah experience.
We all know how he fared at Cloud City.

#7 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:13 AM

I always figured, since Lucas wasn't focused and trained in the Force, he allowed his fears to get the better of him. Remember, the wampa wasn't dead, only missing a limb. Luke was just lucky.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#8 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jan 25 2006, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Used to be; Han's line was "this'll keep you warm, until I get a shelter built" and now it's "until I get the shelter up." Apparently, Han was familiar with how to use the Rebel Ice Planet Survival Kit, and not the mountain man I thought he was.

Interesting - its been a while since i watched it - but i dont recall seeing a shelter when the ship flew over han and lukes little camp the next day. I'll have to check it out.

Nevertheless, even Han's warm naked body would have a difficult time warming Lukes cold and wet/sticky one. I still say it was a crappy Idea. Moisture is NEVER the way to go in an a cold-weather survival situation.

#9 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:21 PM

Or was it dry.gif
OH NO!!!

#10 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:49 PM

I always assumed that's what all that shit on the Tauntaun's saddle was - portable survival gear. Because of the dialogue, it's safe to assume he had a shelter and likely a portable heater as well to dry Luke off in the shelter.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the writers took the technique (of slicing the Tauntaun open) from some Inuit practice - though the article could have been full of shit. I need to find the link now, it was a while back...

#11 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (diligent_d @ Jan 26 2006, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the writers took the technique (of slicing the Tauntaun open) from some Inuit practice - though the article could have been full of shit. I need to find the link now, it was a while back...

Yeah, that's probably not true considering the Inuit prefer to have tauntauns to pull their sleds as opposed to making them into sleeping bags.

#12 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:13 PM

Lol - yeah, yeah. tongue.gif

#13 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

There is a poem by Galway Kinnell called "The Bear." The last stanza reads:

"I hack
a ravine in his thigh, and eat and drink,
and tear him down his whole length
and open him and climb in
and close him up after me, against the wind,
and sleep."

So I guess the writers of SW back during ESB actually took inspiration from real world scenarios. Unlike now, where the PT is so inconcievable.
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#14 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:39 PM

the basic idea was a fur coat... if he failed to remove the entrails then it was more of a fur coat-delicatessen hibrid with which i'm unfamilar in all survival guides but... there you go.

#15 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:28 AM

I believe if you check the commentary to the Special edition DVD they mention that it was indeed based on Inuit practice of cutting open their tauntans...
And I am positive that you can see Han pick some sticks from the saddle to makea tent for himself and Luke..

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size