Chefelf.com Night Life: Episode III worst film "awards" - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Episode III worst film "awards" Razzies, IMDB

#1 User is offline   jawaewokgungan Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:57 AM

The first 2 Star Wars prequels were nominated for a ton of Razzies. (The opposite of the Oscars, celebrating the worst in film).

"Revenge Of The Sith" (thankfully) only got one nomination:
Hayden Christenson for Worst Supporting Actor. This is Hayden's 3rd Razzie nomination (He was up for Worst Actor & Worst Screen Couple w Natalie Portman for "Attack Of The Clones.")

The Internet Movie Database also has released there reader's votes for the Worst of 2005
http://www.imdb.com/...ll/worstresults

ROTS was picked across the board for:
Worst Picture ranked #5
Worst Actor (Hayden) #2
Worst Actress (Natalie) #5
Worst Director (Lucas) #2
Worst Screenplay (Lucas) #1

Ironically it also came in at #5 for Best Picture of the year. So unlike Episodes I and II which were pretty much hated by everyone, Episode III is the film fans either love or hate.
Pretty sad considering the original trilogy still ranks amongst IMDB's list of Top 50 films of all time.
Maybe Lucas shouldn't have made the prequel trilogy after all.

Hopefully he'll leave the "Indiana Jones" franchise alone.

#2 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (jawaewokgungan @ Feb 17 2006, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The first 2 Star Wars prequels were nominated for a ton of Razzies. (The opposite of the Oscars, celebrating the worst in film).

"Revenge Of The Sith" (thankfully) only got one nomination:
Hayden Christenson for Worst Supporting Actor. This is Hayden's 3rd Razzie nomination (He was up for Worst Actor & Worst Screen Couple w Natalie Portman for "Attack Of The Clones.")

The Internet Movie Database also has released there reader's votes for the Worst of 2005
http://www.imdb.com/...ll/worstresults

ROTS was picked across the board for:
Worst Picture ranked #5
Worst Actor (Hayden) #2
Worst Actress (Natalie) #5
Worst Director (Lucas) #2
Worst Screenplay (Lucas) #1

Ironically it also came in at #5 for Best Picture of the year. So unlike Episodes I and II which were pretty much hated by everyone, Episode III is the film fans either love or hate.
Pretty sad considering the original trilogy still ranks amongst IMDB's list of Top 50 films of all time.

Hopefully he'll leave the "Indiana Jones" franchise alone.

Yeah, he should have just left the whole thing alone. Or maybe back in 1983 he should have revealed Darth Vader's origins in ROTJ and at least spared us what we would have to endure in the years 1999, 2002 and 2005.

I'm still hoping and praying that Indy 4 remains dead in the water.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#3 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

Ford's a sellout tongue.gif

#4 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

"I don't find Hollywood interesting, so I'm thinking of studying architecture instead."

The above was a quote from Hayden. IT was mentioned some time between Episode 2 and 3. The negative reviews that poor lad recieved has destroyed him as an actor. He feels inadequate now, and therefore is thinking of finding safety in the boring, un-profitable world of architecture. I would know, my dad is an architect.

I really do feel bad for him, I don't care how much money he made, nothing is worse than being put down infront of millions of people. Having the "you ruined SW" on your shoulders is not fun. Of course it's an exageration, but nevertheless he is associated with the downfall of the saga.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 18 February 2006 - 05:14 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#5 User is offline   Harmonica Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:04 PM

laugh.gif

#6 User is offline   jawaewokgungan Icon

• New Cop

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Feb 18 2006, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I don't find Hollywood interesting, so I'm thinking of studying architecture instead."

The above was a quote from Hayden. IT was mentioned some time between Episode 2 and 3. The negative reviews that poor lad recieved has destroyed him as an actor. He feels inadequate now, and therefore is thinking of finding safety in the boring, un-profitable world of architecture. I would know, my dad is an architect.

I really do feel bad for him, I don't care how much money he made, nothing is worse than being put down infront of millions of people. Having the "you ruined SW" on your shoulders is not fun. Of course it's an exageration, but nevertheless he is associated with the downfall of the saga.

Hayden didn't ruin Star Wars, George Lucas did. Although Hayden and Jake Lloyd along with Lucas's writing/directing help, ruined the mystique and terrifying image of Darth Vader. Like it or not, the way Anakin aka Darth is portrayed in Episodes I to III irrevocably changes the way we see Darth Vader in the original trilogy. It's hard to take the bad ass in a black suit too seriously as a villian now. Now he's just a mess. And rather pathetic. (Which is what Lucas wanted I guess).

I wouldn't feel sorry for Hayden. I think he, Natalie, Ian, Ewan and Samuel all got a percentage from all the merchandise sold (anything featuring their image: toys, cups, posters, etc...). So they're sitting pretty financially. Plus Hayden got to do big screen films between Ep II and III that he would have never gotten to do without being cast in Star Wars. Like "Life As A House" and "Shattered Glass." Hayden didn't have much of a career before Lucas cast him as Anakin. Definitely not a movie career.

Plus he's got several films in production for 2006-07. I don't think he's going into architecture yet. And even though he was crappy in Star Wars, I think fans like him because he comes off as a truly nice guy. He's got a sense of humor about himself and Star Wars. He doesn't come off as bitter like Mark Hamill or angry like Harrison Ford. He held onto his dignity through two disappointing movies. And took the hits from critics even if Lucas didn't take up for him in the press.

Plus Hayden doesn't kiss Lucas ass like Sam Jackson, Natalie, Ewan and Ian. If you read the making of Episode II book Hayden complains that the dialogue sounds "forced." And he tells Rick McCallum he's going to get "fucked" by the press and fans. Because he had to hold back his dark impulses and portray Anakin as a confused crybaby in Ep II per Lucas request.

And in Episode III Hayden tried really hard to deliver a believable portrayal of Anakin becoming Darth Vader. In documentary footage you can see him discussing scenes with Lucas and asking for retakes even though George wants to "move on." You can't blame Hayden for the poor writing in "Sith" and Lucas overnight and basically unbelievable turn to the dark side. And Lucas decided on which takes to use in the film not Hayden. And the editing & camera position. An actor can only do so much.

I'm not saying Hayden's acting was perfect in Ep III. As in "Attack Of The Clones," he tends to overact. And in many scenes he gets buried acting against the superior Ian McDiarmid and Ewan Macgregor. But he holds his own. Just look at the reunion scene between Hayden & Natalie in an early Episdoe III scene. Hayden is great in it. And he's also particularly strong showing Anakin's psychological unraveling during the final act of the film. I mean things like "What have I done?/I'll do whatever you ask" aren't Hayden's fault. He just had to deliver the lines 20 second apart. But his scene on Mustafar with Padme is excellent. The look in his eye when he says "We can rule the galaxy together, make things the way they should be" is dead on.

Even if his acting with Obi-Wan "You turned her against me!" "You wil not take her from me" is a bit over the top Hayden effectively redeems any mistakes he made in Ep II.

I think Hayden will be just fine. He definitely won't be making a bunch of B movies like Mark Hamill or have to leave acting because of typecasting like Carrie Fisher. Plus he got to date Natalie Portman for a while before making Episode II so I have hard time feeling sorry for him.

This post has been edited by jawaewokgungan: 19 February 2006 - 12:49 AM

#7 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (jawaewokgungan @ Feb 19 2006, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like it or not, the way Anakin aka Darth is portrayed in Episodes I to III irrevocably changes the way we see Darth Vader in the original trilogy.

Actually, I found it very easy to forget the crappy Darth Vader of the PT and revel in the evilness of my most favorite villain of all time. Of course, I have to turn ROTJ off before the last scene now. Did I mention I hate GL? No? Well, I do.

QUOTE (jawaewokgungan @ Feb 19 2006, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not saying Hayden's acting was perfect in Ep III. As in "Attack Of The Clones," he tends to overact. And in many scenes he gets buried acting against the superior Ian McDiarmid and Ewan Macgregor. But he holds his own. Just look at the reunion scene between Hayden & Natalie in an early Episdoe III scene. Hayden is great in it. And he's also particularly strong showing Anakin's psychological unraveling during the final act of the film.

But his scene on Mustafar with Padme is excellent. The look in his eye when he says "We can rule the galaxy together, make things the way they should be" is dead on.

I think you may have been watching a different movie.

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

i good actor is only as good as the directions he recieves...

i think hayden christianson got the rough end of the stick... It was lucas who told him to act like a whiney teenager.

#9 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Feb 19 2006, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i good actor is only as good as the directions he recieves...

Unless we're talking the original Obi-Wan here, right?

#10 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:09 PM

Id be interested to find out what other Good movies have been nominated for razzies over the years.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#11 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

Does anyone have "razzles" at a candy counter near them? I liked those.

Ep 3 probably wasn't REALLY the worst film of the year.

But of the movies I saw last year, it was the worst wink.gif

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size