Chefelf.com Night Life: Watto's immunity to Jedi mind tricks - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Watto's immunity to Jedi mind tricks Why not?

#16 User is offline   Trigormike Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Culling the vile plague that is Man from the planet to a more sustainable population.<br /> (NO ONE TOLD ME IT WAS FUCKIN' ILLEGAL!)

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Jun 9 2005, 07:51 AM)
and don't give me that jedi are good bullshit... I'm sure Obi wan could have 'force persuaded' bum face to back off... but no, he cuts his arm off...

The novel says that he was too pissed (as in drunk, my U.S. friends) for that to work.
I think you're right about the force push though. He could even pull the blaster out of his hand. Perhaps he wanted a bit of practice before he faced Vader again.

This post has been edited by Trigormike: 13 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:35 PM

but alcohol is renowned for inducing weakmindedness...

i imagine the jedi acadamy pulls drunk vagrents of the streets for the kindergarden class to practice on...

#18 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (CowboyCurtis @ Jun 10 2005, 05:48 AM)
I thinkk we have to question what Lucas means by "weak-minded."  What are they just base, selfish and greedy (which would've been Watto), or are they just retarded?

Easy.

Like the PT? = Weak minded
Hate the PT? = Strong minded

LUCAS: These Prequels will do fine

BASHERS: No they won't!

LUCAS: These Prequels WILL do fine

BASHERS: No they won't!

And so on until everyone's right arm collectively falls off due to "Force-shame".

#19 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:20 PM

laugh.gif

#20 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

smile.gif

#21 User is offline   THX-1138 Icon

• New Cop

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:05 AM

It should be noted, however, that some species, those with no or extremely small midiclorian count, such as the Yuuzhan Vong, are immune to Jedi mind tricks.

#22 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:52 PM

The absurd thing is .. Qui Gon is willing to "mind trick" him into selling the parts for some practically worthless credits ... (which is fraud btw) .. but pulling a lightsaber and threatening nooo.. that would be bad.
Also.. why not mindtrick ANYBODY ELSE on that planet into exchanging them republican credits for money. Jedi prove themselves the biggest idiots in the galaxy once again. thumbsup.gif
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#23 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:23 PM

And I've said it before and I'll say it again: him leaving Shmi behind as a slave was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. Some compassion, Jedi.

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (Radu094 @ Jun 23 2005, 12:52 PM)
The absurd thing is .. Qui Gon is willing to "mind trick" him into selling the parts for some practically worthless credits ... (which is fraud btw) .. but pulling a lightsaber and threatening nooo.. that would be bad.
Also.. why not mindtrick ANYBODY ELSE on that planet into exchanging them republican credits for money. Jedi prove themselves the biggest idiots in the galaxy once again. thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
QUOTE (diligent_d @ Jun 23 2005, 01:23 PM)
And I've said it before and I'll say it again:  him leaving Shmi behind as a slave was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen.  Some compassion, Jedi.

yeah, way to protect the stability of that anikan investment...

#25 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:32 AM

Qui Gon wasn`t your typical Jedi, that was the whole point of his character. He bent and broke the rules and did what he felt was necessary to get the job done.

Also.. why not mindtrick ANYBODY ELSE on that planet into exchanging them republican credits for money. Jedi prove themselves the biggest idiots in the galaxy once again.

After they left Wattos shop Qui Gon wandered around to mull over his options (which included God knows what) Then they met Anakin again which totally changed everything because from then on Qui Gon was hell bent on freeing him.

#26 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:59 PM

not hellbent enough...

he would rather risk the kid dying in a race and loosing amidalas ship getting her stranded on that planet on the off chance that he may be freed, then mind trick someone into exchanging republic credits or fucking up a dirty slaver who has a a bloddy child working for him.

#27 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:00 PM

*thinking of Anakin dying in the podrace so he doesn't appear in the next episodes*

That would be great! They could have made a plot twist at the end of ROTS so Jar Jar is Luke's daddy!
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#28 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

he would rather risk the kid dying in a race and loosing amidalas ship getting her stranded on that planet on the off chance that he may be freed, then mind trick someone into exchanging republic credits or fucking up a dirty slaver who has a a bloddy child working for him.

Anakin was going to race anyway. And yes, he did risk a lot. but he does what he feels is right- and in this case he bent everything towards getting Anakin off Tatooine. everyone was against the plan, including his padawan. He tried to trick Watto before the whole Anakin might be the chosen one thing came about.

#29 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:53 AM

if i had to choose between letting a slave kid race in a dangerous high speed go-cart race to get a part for my ship and maybe getting freedom for the kid... or slicing Watto in half and taking the parts i need for the ship, and freeing both slaves (plus a few i saw on the way in), i'd take the latter...

#30 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Jun 24 2005, 08:32 AM)
Qui Gon wasn`t your typical Jedi, that was the whole point of his character. He bent and broke the rules and did what he felt was necessary to get the job done.

Admitedly, true. The point isn't just about the rules.. it's about being silly: if you are willing to do one bad thing (mind-trick) why not do another (say, steal the pieces at night whistling.gif ?).

We can beat this horse forever.. I'll still have a bad taste in my mouth everytime I watch this part..
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size