Chefelf.com Night Life: recent DVD purchases - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

recent DVD purchases (or video for stone agers)

#61 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:41 AM

Only if it's a pirate copy, I hear anyone who watches them dies in 7 days....
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#62 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:16 AM

Nope, mine is a legitimate, girlie-magazine DVD.

But maybe I should really reconsider watching it...

#63 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

Watch it, get scared and then crawl under the bed where no TVs can reach you... Where I've been for the last two years since I saw it.

#64 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:52 PM

I don't remember being very affected by The Ring when I first saw it - hell, I didn't even count the days after I watched it like most people did.

Except the part when she crawls out of the TV...

That scared the hell out of me. I was also impressed over how a rotting little girl could turn out to be such an utterly bad-ass monster/villain/whatever you want to call her.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#65 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:12 AM

I didn't think it looked all that interesting, so I haven't watched it.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#66 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:38 AM

I despised the Ring, but loved Ringu, big difference between the two. Ringu was the first film since I saw Pet Cemetary six years ago that scared me.

#67 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:28 AM

I never saw Ringu. Can you list off a few differences so I can get a vague idea of how it's better?

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
XD

#68 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:45 AM

Ok., I’ve watched the Japanese version and it is basically the same as the American. The story is told in a more simple way, more schematic. There is no romantic re-union of the couple in the Japanese version. In American version the guy does not have any supernatural powers, there is less talks about goblins and curses but the psychological story is a bit more complicated.

I suppose it depends on the order of watching the films, I can’t say I hate one version or the other, it has been simply made for different audiences. Naturally in Japan there is less romance and more simple story telling and supernatural powers.

I think the kid is more spooky in Japanese version, and the guy is more handsome. But I liked Naomi Watts better. than the Asian girl.

#69 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:12 PM

Naomi Watts is yummy....

but speaking of Japanesse films... i just bought the box set of my favorite japanese films ever!!! I was just saying to someone the other day how much i wanted them to release these....

TETSUO: the iron man
TETSUO: the body hammer

if you haven't seen thoses two movies... you suck.
(sorry, you'll just have to go out and find them so that you can be cool again)

while i was there i also purchased George A Romeros: Day of the Dead... i haven't watch it yet, but i think the person who packaged it had SARS or something... once i unwrapped it it smelled kind of funny and my throat went all dry and chokey... and it' sbeen that way since last night...

and then today i bought RED DWARF VI... yeah, choke on that everybody!!! (mostly jane)

#70 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 April 2005 - 02:33 AM

Dammit Barend, you're two RD's ahead...I wish I had more money.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#71 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:06 AM

On Ringu: The pacing and usage of special effect is also, entirely different. American horrors do far more of overloading the audience with visual yummie bits (the video tape was five times as long, Electric Samara) and jumping at you saying "boo!" This has gotten tiresome for me. Japanese horror revels in mood, atmosphere, a strong connection to the ordinary and a slow pace that just lets you sink in it and actually allows you to yell from real fright instead of surprise (caligraphy scene in the Eye, only time I've screamed from terror).

Tetsuo: I've been meaning to see the films, have read the original is very interesting and some of the ideas in it rock my socks off. If someone wants to be a nice laddie, he/she can mail me the DVD to ensure that Alexander will see it when he comes of age.

#72 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:49 AM

Rub it in why don't you!?

I can't get any more DVDs until June...well, at least that's the understanding I have of the situation right now. My mother dropped the not-so-subtle hint by saying, "Everything you buy now is taking away from your birthday money."

I know it's childish, but the prospect of less birthday presents is enough to keep me in line spending-wise.

I really need a job...

XD

#73 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:23 AM

Sorry about that Jane... The DVDs I get are only those which are attached to magazines as freebies. I've got only two DVDs which I bought normally in a record shop - LOTR Extended Edition and The last of Mohicans. The magazine DVDs are, like equivalent of three or four dollars, so I can affrd them. Sure as hell nobody can afford the regular price of a DVDs - why those things have to be so bloody expensive?

BTW do you have Arizona Dream with Johnny Depp?

#74 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:39 AM

There's no need for you to apologize about anything, MC - that was aimed at Barend's comment about the Red Dwarf DVDs. I haven't had a fresh Rimmer Fix in a long time...

I haven't been able to find that one yet. So far, I've still only seen eighteen of his movies (including Freddy's Dead, where he did a cameo), and only own seven DVDs of them (and one useless VHS copy of A Nightmare on Elm Street) so I've still got quite a way to go. Right now my top priority in movie rentals is finding a place with a copy of Dead Men, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, and Don Juan de Marco.

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 07 April 2005 - 11:41 AM

XD

#75 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Jane Sherwood @ Apr 7 2005, 11:39 AM)
I haven't had a fresh Rimmer Fix in a long time...

that just sounds wrong! blink.gif

----------------------------------

i think the DVD of 'day of the dead' was sprayed with some anti-moisture chemical that got into my thraot... i'll have see if drinking myself stupid tonight will resolve the issue.

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size