Chefelf.com Night Life: Scores, bores, & swordplay - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Scores, bores, & swordplay

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:09 AM

In your opinion, which OT Star Wars movie had the best closing credits music? I'd have to rank it -

1) ESB
2) ANH
3) ROTJ

And, if ESB has the best duel, which is the absolute WORST duel?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:52 AM

And, if ESB has the best duel, which is the absolute WORST duel?

Everyone vs Dooku AotC. Anakins "chop off my arm please" move, Yodas Kung Fu pose, Yodas Grover cry, Yoda fighting. I hate to say it, cause I really like Christopher Lee but that duel is horrible. It isn't emotionally engaging at all, and a good duel should be.

#3 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:03 AM

I saw some of Clones at a discount liquidator's yesterday. They sell inferior televisions, with sufficiently inferior video apparently. I passed by at the grover scene, and could not bear to watch. Or have any respect for the person glued to the set. (Although I was tempted to rub it in the Help's nose: "Wow! You get to have Star Wars playing All Day!") minutes later, I saw the clone troopers standing around and thought for a moment they were dookoo's henchmen. and then remembered- oh yeah, they're the good guys.

as it is in the PT, you hate the good guys, you like a villian (C. Lee) but for no reason of his role. It's bizarr-wars world I suppose. Lucas, you genius.

also, they had the OT on video tape box sets for like $15. White packaging, behind the counter. I may go back for when my ebay set runs it's course. And maybe this set won't have the glorious Maltin interview.

anyway, I liked your score rankings. And I really liked the duel music of ESB, but the carbonite scene music ROCKED (and was not on the double album btw.)

#4 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:48 PM

ESB...From the moment we see Luke getting his new hand the music is great. Empire also has the single best score of the whole Star Wars movies in "Flight to Cloud City" Listening to that you actually picture in your head Han and Leia on the run from the Empire about to meet Hans "friend" and the upcoming danger and events our heros will face.

Worst duel is Dooku vs Anakin/Obi Wan. Strong in the darkside he may be, but he whoops the ass of two men much younger then him. Doesn't work for me.

#5 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (Michel Orla @ Dec 16 2004, 10:48 AM)
ESB...From the moment we see Luke getting his new hand the music is great. Empire also has the single best score of the whole Star Wars movies in "Flight to Cloud City" Listening to that you actually picture in your head Han and Leia on the run from the Empire about to meet Hans "friend" and the upcoming danger and events our heros will face.

Worst duel is Dooku vs Anakin/Obi Wan. Strong in the darkside he may be, but he whoops the ass of two men much younger then him. Doesn't work for me.

The closing credit music of ROTJ gets the lowest ranking of the first three due to what I assume is the "Ewok Theme" that comes in after the initial fanfare; once we get passed the "Ewok Theme" better music that is actually somewhat worthy of Star Wars kicks in.

I'd have to agree the Dooku VS Anakin/Obi-Wan is ridiculous. Too short, poorly choreographed, ancient man beating up two younger men so easily without the Force lightning is a little far fetched, only to be followed up by the silliness of Yoda. And what makes it all the worse is the dialogue they make Christopher Lee say: "Master Kenobi, you disappoint me. Yoda holds you in such high esteem." I mean, they only exchanged like 3 light saber blows in 3 seconds.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#6 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Dec 16 2004, 12:59 PM)
The closing credit music of ROTJ gets the lowest ranking of the first three due to what I assume is the "Ewok Theme" that comes in after the initial fanfare; once we get passed the "Ewok Theme" better music that is actually somewhat worthy of Star Wars kicks in.

I'd have to agree the Dooku VS Anakin/Obi-Wan is ridiculous. Too short, poorly choreographed, ancient man beating up two younger men so easily without the Force lightning is a little far fetched, only to be followed up by the silliness of Yoda. And what makes it all the worse is the dialogue they make Christopher Lee say: "Master Kenobi, you disappoint me. Yoda holds you in such high esteem." I mean, they only exchanged like 3 light saber blows in 3 seconds.

Yeah it's not exactly great after hearing the inital Star Wars closing theme to have to hear the Ewok's crap music. At least the new music at the end of the "Special Edition" of Return is somewhat better than the old Ewok "Yub, Yub" song yell.gif

For dialgue during a lightsabre fight, nothing beats Vader and Lukes first encounter. Lucas must have stayed away from most of the writting during those scenes

#7 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:16 PM

Best closing credits goes to A New Hope. I mean come on people. The Throne Room, with what is the smoothest transition of any of the movies into the actual Star Wars theme (ESB is choppy and is cut short with a forced transition, and ROTJ is almost nonexistent, basically just jumping to the theme with almost no transition). And then you have the heroic SW theme through the credits, not to mention Leia's theme and a rousing ending. Best score of the OT I would be hard-pressed to award, but would give it to ROTJ, notwithstanding the Ewok music, for the way it weaves in everything before it in its score. The score for TPM is better than all of them though.

Yeah, worst duel is AOTC easily. At least TPM, for its lack of emotion, was choreographed well, AOTC is just sloppy and boring, it doesn't even have good music for it.

#8 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:37 PM

I loved the ending of ANH and I would give that movie best overall score though duel of the fates (Undeniably best thing to come out of PT) is in the top three favorite songs.

And I agree, worst duel ever was the one in AOTC. Anakin left himself totally open and Dooku chose to cut his arm??? What kind of villain is he? Go for the kill, idiot! And I had previously purged the dialogue from my memory but, damn. "Master Yoda holds you in such high regard" No he dosnt! Master Yoda (according to PT) didn't even train Obi Wan! Master Yoda would have last talked to Dooku long before Obi Wan ever became a Jedi knight considering Dooku's age. What the fuck did this idea come from? Did they have a phone conversation between movies?

Yoda: Hello evil count Dooku. I just called to say I sense the dark side in you.

Dooku: That's cool. Want to brag about any people hanging around the Jedi academy?

Yoda: As a matter of fact I hold Obi Wan in high regards.

Dooku: That's good I'll be sure to tell him that mockingly if I ever beat his ass.

The only person Yoda holds in high regards is some nobody named Mace Windu and that's because they both sit on their asses infront of a television all day making smart ass comics and pretending to meditate like the fucking intergalactic version of beavis and butthead!

AAAARGH!

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 16 December 2004 - 11:40 PM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#9 User is offline   Mad Rabbit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Movies, Reading, Drawing, Lots o' stuff.

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:52 AM

ANH gets my vote for best overall score, And although it may be a bit simplistic compared to some of the other themes in the trilogy, the Imperial March is probably my favorite song of the bunch.

As far as the worst duel, it's hard to deny the grandeur of how much the Dooku vs. Anakin/Obi-Wan battle sucked. However my personal choice would have to th be Mace vs. Jango match-up. This had to have been one of the most anti-climactic confrontations I've ever seen put on screen. Jango gives holy hell to Obi-Wan and then all of a sudden he acts like a deer caught in the headlights when he's up against Shaft... I mean Mace. Normally I like a movie with a good beheading, but give me a little drama to go along with it!

#10 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2004 - 06:46 AM

SCORE:

The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi

Do we really have to rank the prequels as well? Their scores are dull and instantly forgetable.... kind of like the movies themselves.

I know Vwing said differently. But that's okay. He's wrong and I don't mind saying so.

DUELS:

The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars

Did they have duels in the prequels? I remember seeing some lightsabres but it was a bit hard to tell what was going on, who anybody was or if the row next to me was clear enough to make it to the isle and get out of the cinema.

This post has been edited by Just your average movie goer: 17 December 2004 - 06:49 AM

#11 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:09 AM

The Imperial March is one of my all-time favourite pieces of music, but for closing credits nothing can beat the triumphal march at the end of ANH. I still get shivery whenever I hear it.

Duels... best is obviously Luke's confrontation with Vader in ESB. For the worst I'm going to have to go with Anakin vs. Dooku in AotC, like everyone else.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size