• +
  • « First
  • Last »

pet peeves we all have them..what is yours

#46 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:42 PM

To clarify: I hate them both. I was really tired last night and must have thought "southern drawl" sounded more polite than my usual description, "hick-cent".
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#47 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (TheOrator @ Mar 6 2007, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm afraid, Mr Gobbler, ATM itself stands for 'Automated Teller Machine.'

So saying ATM Machine is like saying 'Automated Teller Machine Machine.'

Like saying 'PIN Number.'

Personal Identification Number...Number.

That's like saying "I got it on CD disc."

Or "It just came out on DVD disc."

So that is considerably silly.

I believe that there's a rather ironically named disorder for people who feel compelled to do that.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#48 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

Although I cant seem to think of an exact phrase regarding this....(and Im sure as soon as someone else reads this, they will immediately post such an example of it)

...but I hate when someone tries to say if you say the word "NOT" or "UN" too many times in a given sentence it reverses the meaning of whatever your intention was. So, you could intend on having an initial positive statement, but due to the amount of NOT or UN you used,.you actually unintentionally changed the meaning of whatever you were trying to state, and it now becomes a negative statement. Hope I havent confused anyone.

QUOTE (TheOrator @ Mar 7 2007, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm afraid, Mr Gobbler, ATM itself stands for 'Automated Teller Machine.'

So saying ATM Machine is like saying 'Automated Teller Machine Machine.'

Like saying 'PIN Number.'

Personal Identification Number...Number.

That's like saying "I got it on CD disc."

Or "It just came out on DVD disc."

So that is considerably silly.

I never heard anyone say "DVD disc",.or "CD disc". But we hear "PIN number" all the time, even by those who work at banks. I havent heard anyone yet called it a "P.I. number"

another example is:

person one: "what kind of vehicle do you drive?"

person two: "i drive an SUV"

okay,..2 problems with this already....we are told in english class to never use AN before words that start with S.

the other problem is...why would you state you drive an SUV...when it should be: S.U. Vehicle.....Sport Utility Vehicle.
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#49 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:58 PM

Mireaux7, I was not arguing one should end any given acronym with the word in lieu of the letter, merely one should not say both the letter and the word.

Certainly, no one would say 'SU Vehicle,' but at least that's better than saying SUV Vehicle,' as that would be redundant.

And many people do say PIN Number, and this is why I find it so annoying.

Popular opinion will never change unpopular fact.

EDIT: sorry, Mireaux, I got your name wrong... blushing.gif

This post has been edited by TheOrator: 07 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#50 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:48 PM

You use the article "an" instead of "a" because we choose which one based on the sound of the syllable coming next. It's not just the sibilance like ship, it's pronounced "ess" when you're saying the letter, so "an S" is ok.

JM: Yes, the Doc RAWKS. "I'm your huckleberry."

My pet peeve: Computer mice without wheels. This is the 21st century. Every mouse should have a wheel to scroll with/give us an extra button to click.

Speaking of that, MACS. UGH!!! Their default mice only have ONE BUTTON, and the home and end keys do absolutely nothing in most programs, so in order to select all of a row, you have to do something like... <shift> + <apple key> + left/right. Congratulations, Apple. Because you refuse to adhere to a reasonable usability standard, I have to use an obscure key combination that I would never in my right mind hit otherwise (I figured this out, and I volunteer that I am not in my right mind) in order to do a simple function.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#51 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:03 PM

another peeve of mine is in regards to films when they are released on DVD.

If the film was a box office success,.you can count on it being released in both WIDESCREEN and FULL SCREEN formats (each being a seperate purchase of about $19.99)

However,..if the film is dated, and especially if its a dated trilogy that doesnt garnish much public attention these days,.then its usually a low quality transfer from VHS to DVD,.with like 2 films on one side of the disc, and another film being on the reverse. The Smokey and the Bandit trilogy would be an example.

Walmart, and some other stores now sell DVDs that are one disc, and feature like 2 or 3 films from the same actor/actress all lumped onto a single DVD. Like Tango and Cash, Cobra, and Cliffhanger from Stallone (not saying that these films all exist on a single disc,..but you get the idea)

and the worst of them all,..are those dreaded $1.00 DVDs that WalMart is notorious for carrying and displaying at the check-out lanes. Usually some relatively known actor during their early days in a film you never even heard of. For children, there are sucky knock-offs of cartoons like Popeye or Bugs Bunny,..usually in a slightly different shade of color from the original character.

By the way,.have you ever taken a smell of the inside of one of those DVD jackets??...it smells like an inferno gone amuck at Taco Bell or something..smells hideous.

yell.gif

This post has been edited by mireaux7: 07 March 2007 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#52 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:18 PM

EDIT: I had to erase my whole damn post because I left the window open far too long instead of posting right away and then realized Slade said everything I did.

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 07 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#53 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Mar 7 2007, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
person two: "i drive an SUV"

okay,..2 problems with this already....we are told in english class to never use AN before words that start with S.

I understood that S is considered to be a word starting with a vowel. At least, that's what my teacher told me.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#54 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Mar 8 2007, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although I cant seem to think of an exact phrase regarding this....(and Im sure as soon as someone else reads this, they will immediately post such an example of it)

...but I hate when someone tries to say if you say the word "NOT" or "UN" too many times in a given sentence it reverses the meaning of whatever your intention was. So, you could intend on having an initial positive statement, but due to the amount of NOT or UN you used,.you actually unintentionally changed the meaning of whatever you were trying to state, and it now becomes a negative statement. Hope I havent confused anyone.

The term you're after is 'double negative'. For example, saying something is "not unlikely" means that it is likely. From what you've written above, you seem to hate people correcting your mistakes with this. I'm the opposite, I hate people misusing double negatives (either not realising they said the wrong thing, or using a needlessly complicated double negative to confuse somebody). I particularly hate the phrase "I didn't do nothing". It's just such bad english that I think any kid who says it deserves to be punished regardless of if they did anything else wrong or not.

Though I do like the phrase "There ain't no nothing we can't love each other through" from one of Tripod's songs.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#55 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

Pet Peeve: This new trend of calling someone "pitchy" when they're singing off-key. "Pitchy" means "of, relating to, or having the qualities of pitch." It does NOT mean that you aren't hitting the right notes! Stupid Randy on stupid American Idol started this one. ARGH it aggravates me. (I'm a little extra aggravated about it right now because I went out to eat and American Idol was playing in the restaurant, and all the judges were using the word "pitchy" to mean "not singing the right notes.")

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 07 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#56 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:47 PM

Peeve: People who consistantly misspell lightning as "lightening."

#57 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:47 PM

I can't bath domestic cats.

People who depend and expect 100% out of me but fall back on everything they have to offer with excuses I am not even allowed to use.

#58 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:23 AM

Don't let yourself be taken advantage of. Let them wash their own darned cats! More hassle than it's worth, I think, especially when the things like to clean themselves. Although I guess if they get particularly dirty an extra cleaning might be in order. Just don't let someone else try to make you do it!

#59 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

So sorry Slade, ashamed of myself I didn't mean that. I should have numbered them in their spaces one and two. Thanks for the advice on taking advantage. I don't wash pets for other people.

I am allergic to cats from the fleas on the fur. When I touch the fur I get rashes, sneezing and for long enough my hair starts to fall out. That is why I would like to bath them if I have another one.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 15 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

#60 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:26 PM

Heh, ooooh. I understand. I shouldn't have assumed that your two points, separated by a blank line, were related. Shame on me, not you.

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size