Chefelf.com Night Life: Beef Banners Bypassed By Breast Bumper Brag - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Beef Banners Bypassed By Breast Bumper Brag 2nd July 2006

#1 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:46 PM

Alarm over beef link to breast cancer
22:01pm 2nd July 2006

Fears about eating beef from cattle pumped up with growth hormones have been raised by a government expert.

John Verrall said there is alarming evidence it can trigger breast and other cancers, bring forward puberty in girls and increase the risk of genital abnormalities in boys.

Mr Verrall, a member of a Government advisory committee, is so concerned that he has defied an official attempt to gag him.

He points to a rise in rates of breast and prostate cancer in the U.S., where two-thirds of cattle are treated with hormones.

The EU currently bans the use of growth or sex hormones to fatten up cattle and speed their maturity.

It also forbids imports of American beef from the U.S. which is produced using an array of hormones.

But there are serious doubts whether the ban is being enforced, as there is no testing of imports for tell-tale hormone residue.

In any case, the U.S. government, with the support of Tony Blair's administration, is trying to have the embargo lifted. The Government's Veterinary Products Committee is due to publish a report in the next few days which will declare that beef produced with hormones is safe.

This could clear the way for farmers in this country to use growth hormone injections and speed the lifting of the ban on imports of 'super-size' beef from the U.S.

But Mr Verrall, a pharmaceutical chemist who was appointed to the VPC to represent consumer interests, has refused to sanction the all-clear.

He wanted to publish a minority report to highlight the dangers, but the committee, supported by the food and farming department DEFRA headed by David Miliband, refused to allow it.

Despite this, Mr Verrall has decided to go public.

The suspect hormones are oestradiol, testosterone, progesterone, zeranol, trenbolone and melegesterol acetate.

Mr Verrall said: 'There is clear evidence of the risk to human health posed by these hormones.'

He cited research showing that oestradiol is considered a cancer risk. Work by a highly-respected Danish university found that residues of oestradiol in treated beef were up to five times higher than the levels in other cattle.

The hormones can disrupt the natural balance in the body, with the danger of multiple biological effects.

rest of the article located here

thanks to Deepsycher for article and title

i'm not suprised really... i suppose after MAD COW DISEASE, cancer just seams like old news...
nice to know that yet again, the heads of the western world have chosen trade over public civilian saftey...

yay!

a-holes.

in other news: Piece of man's skull falls off, draws crowds

edit: hmmm link choke: http://news.yahoo.co...HBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

cut and paste...

edit: 2: screw it... go google it, happened in india...

This post has been edited by barend: 07 July 2006 - 01:00 AM

#2 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

Well they are stretching and economising but at the cost of health. For BSE it is no wonder why that has happened after feeding the cows meat, meat unfit for human consumption in their mince. I hear that they only eat vegetables.

In the end the unfit meat will end up in the people who eat the beef so why must they go to the bother of feeding it to the cows first? Sounds cowardly.

Now this is a second attempt to expand the beef. I just hope that people expand their own beefs to that.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 06 July 2006 - 09:16 PM

#3 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:51 PM

Well it seems that this is not very discussible or interesting to people here.

Like for chemicals they put into rodent killers they are now trying to prove that it affects people in similar ways but the process can be slow.

The worrying fact is that the growth hormones can cause unforeseen or similar effects in people if it is activated or it could even be passed on. Just have to wait and see.

#4 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:15 PM

Wonder what happened to the BSE outbreaks that plagued England a decade or so ago? They're supposed to have cleared it up ages ago, but having actually read that, I'm not inclined to be so sure...

Mooooooooo...?
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

it pisses me off that you can't smoke in a pub anymore, but the same governemnt that set the one in play is happy to give us tainted water, cancerous and desiesed meat, stick us with fossilfuels like petrol and coal energy, and bombard the fuck out of us with radioton from non-cable transmission...

i mean seriously, smoking was practically good for you before we had all that shit.

#6 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:24 PM

What they put into cigarettes does not sound healthy with rocket fuel. I wonder if they did without this centuries ago?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size