Chefelf.com Night Life: Really Really Rotted Reeboks Recovered - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Really Really Rotted Reeboks Recovered Wednesday, May 11, 2005

#1 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:25 PM

Archaeologists find 2,000-year-old shoe
Preserved in hollow tree in southwest England

LONDON - Perhaps it was left for symbolic reasons, or simply forgotten in the mud.  Archaeologists said Tuesday they had found a 2,000-year-old shoe hidden in a hollow tree used to construct an ancient well near Wellington in southwest England.

advertisement
"As far as we know, this is the oldest shoe ever found in the United Kingdom," said Stephen Reed, who led the team from Exeter Archaeology that made the find on the site of a modern day quarry.  "It is reasonably well-preserved, with stitch and lace holes still visible in the leather."

The shoe is being studied by conservationists in Salisbury, southwest England, and is expected to be displayed at the Royal Albert Memorial Museum in Exeter.

It was found when the owners of Whiteball Quarry began working in the area, where a Bronze Age iron-smelting site had been discovered in 1989.

Nearby, researchers from Exeter Archaeology found two water troughs, along with two timber-lined wells, preserved by waterlogging and probably dating from the early part of the Iron Age (700 BC to AD 43).

One of the wells had been constructed over a spring using a hollowed tree trunk set into the ground.  "The tree trunk was removed from the site so that its contents could be excavated under laboratory conditions," Reed said. " The truly remarkable discovery of the shoe was made when this work was being undertaken by the Wiltshire Conservation Center."

The shoe is nearly 12 inches long, suggesting its owner was male, archaeologists said.

It may have been left for symbolic reasons when the site was closed or simply been lost in the mud within the spring.  "The importance about this shoe is that these sort of things don't really survive at all on the archaeological record, usually because they rot down," Reed said.

He said the shoe was the first of its kind to be found in Britain, while even in Europe they numbered only "in the tens."

http://www.msnbc.msn...02581/?GT1=6542

Wow, a solitary shoe that's 2,000 years old. Quite impressive. Now if they can find where the matching pairs to my odd socks went, I'll be happy.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#2 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

That's like those bored kids with nothing better to do, they tie laces together and fling shoes up on power lines. This is the 2000-year old equivalent of that.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#3 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

2000 years?! Now THAT's craftsmanship.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

"The shoe is nearly 12 inches long"

the shoe is a foot long?

that's convinient!

#5 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:19 PM

Hadn't noticed that, actually. Those 2000 year old guys had a good sense of irony...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#6 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:10 AM

Dammit Barend, that was my joke!

I orrigionally read the line "The shoe is being studied by conservationists in Salisbury..." as conversationalists, and imagined a bunch of people chatting to the shoe about the local sporting team and the weather.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:47 PM

oh... well...

it's pretty much all i had to say on the matter, so i'm glad i got in there first and didn't have to resort to some sort of two bit 'sole' gag.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size