Chefelf.com Night Life: Episode I Revisited - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Episode I Revisited Watching The Phantom Menace after seeing Revenge of the Sith

#16 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (KurganX @ Jan 25 2006, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amazon.com is selling a revised updated edition from 2001.
It's been revised. Greed shoots first.

#17 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:52 PM

Whoa! I didn't see this featurette yet! I love these PT DVD's because of the stupid hour long documentaries! They are a riot! laugh.gif Did any of you notice the foul mouth that Rick Macollum has on the EP I documentary, and they keep lowering the volume every time he curses?! Or how about when Christopher Lee starts subtley ripping on the direction and acting of other people in the studio for the EP II documentary. And the EP III documentary was so lame, they even interviewed the payroll office, and showed all of the crew eating "Thai food" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'm going to brighten my night with this crap!

#18 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:01 AM

You're going to have to give us a list of highlights. I have the DVD's but I haven't had the patience to watch all of the docs (though I remember watching almost all of the TPM ones when I first got it because I was bored... and there were a lot of them!).

I gotta see McCallum cussing though.. wonder what set him off?

#19 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:23 AM

What set off McCallum was the storm in Tunissia! There was a horrible storm in the desert while all the props and stuff were set up out there and the next day, the place was destroyed! And McCallum put in his bit, then he was casually cursing at Ewan Mcgregor over the phone, then on the opening night of TPM, McCallum was in the theater with all the fanboys and he starts cursing there too! I kept rewinding the DVD to see if he was really doing this!

Just watch all the web docs. I watched all of them because I had a few days off and wanted to see stupid behavior caught on tape. Like some guy spraying down Kenny Baker in the R2 getup. Or when Anthony Daniels has the 3-P0 suit on and he walks and smashes through a prop because he couldn't see. Worse yet is all the stupid puns and comments Lucas makes around the artists...
Just waste some time and watch this crap. You'll be laughing and dissapointed at the same time!

#20 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:13 AM

I maybe a big STAR WARS fan but i refuse to own the first episode.
there is far too much of the story and lil' Jakie's acting then i am willing to take.
Yes, he was only a child but it still grills my bacon that they actually let that movie come into fruition without some serious editing and re-shooting. Its like George Lucas is turning in Micheal Jackson. Surrounded by yes men who never question a word he says. And we all know where that leads. . . to the DARK SIDE !!!!!!

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#21 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:37 AM

Or to Neverland.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#22 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Sep 20 2006, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or to Neverland.

biggrin.gif That was cute. laugh.gif

#23 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:03 PM

*bows* Always a pleasure.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#24 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:21 AM

The main reason TPM sucked so much is cause Chewbacca wasnt there to rip the legs,arms,ears and lips off of Jar Jar Binks at the first awful witty pun he made in the film.

yell.gif dry.gif
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#25 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

lol. all to very true

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#26 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Sep 28 2006, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The main reason TPM sucked so much is cause Chewbacca wasnt there to rip the legs,arms,ears and lips off of Jar Jar Binks at the first awful witty pun he made in the film.

yell.gif dry.gif

Its doesnt make sense to me why George Lucas didnt include younger versions of both Han Solo and Chewbacca in TPM. Han Solo is a very pivotal character in the saga, and more of his story should be told as well. More importantly, as everyone already knows this,.the combination of Han and Chewie in the classic trilogy ensured everyone that cheesy dialogue and behaviors from annoying characters were kept to a minimum.

In the classic trilogy, If C3PO kept babbling his mouth and acted like a fool, either Han threatened to shut him down, or Chewie threatened to tear his arms out by their sockets. We need more of this no-bullcrap policing in the new trilogy as well, and I feel that by including younger versions of both Han and Chewie into ALL of the new trilogy films,.this vision would have been effectively accomplished.

Han already has a known reputation for not tolerating too much of anything annoying as a horsefly,.it would be really cool to see an even younger, edgier, version of him taking on the annoyance created by Jar-Jar,..which by comparison,..even C3PO's most absurd dialogue is well-mannered compared to anything Jar Jar says or does. I'm sure that either Han or Chewie (or both) would have killed off all the Gungans 1/2 way into the TPM as annoying as they are.

But this is just my vision though,.I apologize to everyone who likes TPM the way that it already is.

huh.gif
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

#27 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (TruJade @ Sep 20 2006, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I maybe a big STAR WARS fan but i refuse to own the first episode.
there is far too much of the story and lil' Jakie's acting then i am willing to take.
Yes, he was only a child but it still grills my bacon that they actually let that movie come into fruition without some serious editing and re-shooting. Its like George Lucas is turning in Micheal Jackson. Surrounded by yes men who never question a word he says. And we all know where that leads. . . to the DARK SIDE !!!!!!

Who knows?..maybe some day far, far away...when George Lucas turns, say 70 yrs old?,.he will decide to give Jake Lloyd a telephone call to have him come on down to the Skywalker Ranch and shoot some new video of him for a new version of The Phantom Menace,.. then, have this new footage digitally replace all the annoying scenes of Jake Lloyd when he was but a child, with this new footage.

As Star Wars fans, we are but just beginning to see the light of the full spectrum of George Lucas' vision...which is,.as anyone knows by now,. is to make films,.then 10 to 15 yrs later,.go back into that same film and delete and add whatever he so desires to make the film even better than it originally was.

Cool George,..maybe when I turn 40, I will be able to see a really great new version of the Phantom Menace albeit the scenes involving Jar Jar Binks would have been finally removed by you. Im sure by then, youll think up a less annoying character to replace Jar Jar Binks with digitally,.then on this new TPM disc (which you will try to sell to us,.for about $50.00-give or take $5.00) ,.it will also include a special bonus disc as well,.with nothing but 6 hours of you, sitting from the luxury of your wheelchair, crying to us on camera about how this new version was never what YOU envisioned,.but you felt you had to do, due to the pressures ensued by SW fans..who,.let us cordially remind you,.made you the financial success you are.

So 10 to 15 yrs from now,.as George is living up the ending years of his successful and financially pampered life,.he will go back into his cherished archives and pull out the reels of the prequel trilogy and decide then and now,.what he now hates about it, and what he thinks should be improved. He will do this, and include all of his digital audio/video changes on these new discs,...another sly way for him to show us more of his true intentions,.because these new changes arent what he wanted back in 1999, 2002, and 2005. But more importantly,.his never ending greed for money will return, as he presents again,. his "definitive vision" to us.

We will buy into this,.and buy all of these new versions of the prequel trilogy,.and watch them each 1,000 times,.all the while as we praise, moan and gripe on this site about what we each love, like and hate about them all.

(sigh) George Lucas,...a very talented businessman,.err,.I mean,.filmmaker.

#28 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:41 PM

I have just got done watching The Phantom Menace again, and couldnt help but to notice many scenes that are need of help. Maybe with luck, George Lucas will go back into this film and digitally alter many scenes so that he can finally show us his true definitive vision.

Its not too long into our story, before Jar Jar leads Qui Gon and Obi-Wan to a lake that closely resembles any lake found in Louisiana. Jar Jar halts to make a stance, and suddenly performs an amazing acrobatic dive into the lake. The two Jedi soon follow him underwater as they swim towards a secret underwater city that resembles a cross between something you would find in Disney's "Cinderella", and also "The Little Mermaid", rather than the first epic chapter of a Star Wars film.

Its quite amusing to see the look of Yoda's face during all the scenes in the Jedi Council room. Yoda's eyes are heavy and he is slouching in his chair. Yoda is simply there, sitting, as if he was stoned on crack right along side with his main brother, Samuel L. Jackson. they both might as well be sitting alongside Cheech and Chong passing the bong around the room while they discuss more important things, like the rising price of Coruscant malt liqour instead of intergalatic warfare. then theres this long-necked giraffe creature in the background swaying his head, as if he has been high for days on end.

why is it that Natalie Portman looks so much different in The Phantom Menace than she does in other films??..wait!,.maybe cause she is wearing kabuki makeup for about 70% of the film. But, wait,.this isnt Natalie Portman at all,.its actually the beautiful Asian actress Yuki Kudoh in traditional Japanese attire complete with makeup. why else would George Lucas hire anyone else to play the part of a Geisha who clearly isnt oriental to begin with?

poor anakin's pod racer dies on him during the start of the race and the whole race crowd starts cracking up laughing as the two-headed commentator takes a few jabs at Anakin,.even Willow (from the 1988 movie of the same name) makes a cameo appearance for this, and joins in on the intimidation.

then there is Shmi Skywalker, the mother of Anakin, who is still trying to figure out how the hell she became pregnant with Anakin in the first place. there doesnt seem to be a cantina anywhere in Mos Eisley that sells liquor so strong that it would completely erase any womans's memory from her ever remembering that she got knocked-up by an evil Sith entity in spirit form. Maybe Shmi shouldnt be so desperate for dates, and stay away from that late-night Sith date hotline number thats advertised nightly on Tatooine television.

Watching "The Phantom Menace" can take one back to their high school days,..where else would you expect to be lectured for 2 hours on end about politics, diplomatic disputes, trade routes, slavery, and royal hierarchy?

Boss Nass,.it seems that George Lucas couldnt seem to think of a better character while writing this script than one who pays tribute to the late Notorious B.I.G., if Biggie were alive to see this film, he would be pissed off.I like the end of this film, where it shows Biggie at the annual Naboo hip-hop awards ceremony. There is a huge parade in progress in his honor and the last shot of the film ends with Princess Amidala presenting Biggie with his platinum CD for selling the most rap records on Naboo. Biggie accepts his prize and holds it high for all to see! Congrats to you, Biggie!

The scene towards the end of the film, where Anakin is sitting in the cockpit of the fighter then decides to randomly press and mash buttons and start the damn thing up is very embarassing. "Now THIS is pod-racing!" he exclaims. with every action he performs is the result of this child's pure luck at mashing buttons or his juvenile manipulation of the force. I like to assume the latter, as there are already far too many 10 year olds that can kick my butt in video games just by mashing buttons.

I like the scene between Obi-Wan and Qui Gon when they are discussing midi-chlorians and other medical related terminology. I dont know why it tends to remind me of last week's episode of Grey's Anatomy.

The droid robots that consistantly say "roger, roger". I really dont know who is more annoying here..these robots or the robot from Short Circuit named Johnny-Five. Maybe George Lucas should have obtained the rights to have featured that robot in this film too, as it could have only helped the script that he already had in progress. Maybe they could have recruited even more robots from other films, and have a battle-of-the-bots grande finale. Personally, I would have loved to seen Robocop make a cameo appearance somewhere in the film.

I guess I could go on and on about this, but I feel I have made my point clear. I simply think there is far too much comic antics in this film and not enough of the magic that made the original trilogy such a success.

wink.gif

#29 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Sep 29 2006, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its doesnt make sense to me why George Lucas didnt include younger versions of both Han Solo and Chewbacca in TPM. Han Solo is a very pivotal character in the saga, and more of his story should be told as well.

Why? Admittedly I'd rather see them than Jar Jar Binks, but there's absolutely no reason why we need to see Han and Chewy's early life portrayed in the films. Han would have been a baby (at most) at the time of TPM, and a little kid in the other films; there's no way anything he did at that time could possibly have any bearing on the main plot. Same with Chewbacca, for that matter, even though he'd probably have been an adult.

Stuff like that is best left to the EU. The prequels are already filled with pointless cameos by OT characters; the last thing we need is more of them. It's hard enough to tell Anakin's story in three movies as it is without going off on a pointless tangent about the childhood antics of Han Solo.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#30 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

Okay,..maybe no Han in TPM,.but perhaps he could make his introduction in ROTS, since the Wookies are prominently featured. I was thinking that if Owen & Beru were in it, assuredly Han should also make his introduction, esp showing how Chewie and Han met and acquired the Falcon. My guess is that Han is such a favorable character, Lucas feared he would steal the screen thunder away from Anakin, so Lucas decided to have no Han in it.

I guess the issue is subject to a myriad of debates, but from "a certain point of view", it is a nice inclusion to the saga.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size