Chefelf.com Night Life: Foolish Fanciers of Flatpack Furniture Flattened - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Foolish Fanciers of Flatpack Furniture Flattened Saturday, Febuary 12, 2005

#1 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:29 AM

Bargain hunters flattened at the home of the flatpack

Why object of desire left bargain hunters flattened at the home of the Ikea flatpack

THE opening of England’s largest Ikea descended into a riot which left six people in hospital and thousands more disappointed yesterday after managers underestimated the British obsession with a bargain.

The 28,500sq m store in Edmonton, North London, had to close just 30 minutes after its midnight opening because 6,000 customers — three times the number expected — turned up, enticed by £30 bed frames and £45 sofas.

In the moments after the doors swung open, the store’s 50 security guards found themselves overwhelmed by the eager hordes, who jostled and elbowed their way into the showroom.

As they squeezed through the entrance, scores of shoppers were thrown to the ground and pinned against the wall by the throng, causing tempers to flare.

Once inside, the behaviour worsened. Video footage showed shoppers fighting over furniture and one man pinned against a wall by a burly customer as they argued over a sofa. A woman was left with blood pouring from her nose after she was pushed against a wall. Another was heard screaming in pain as she tried to escape the crush.

Police already on the scene called for back-up and nine ambulances, six fire engines, one medical rapid response car and an emergency control vehicle were sent to the store.

But the emergency services were delayed because dozens of customers had abandoned their cars along the North Circular. A spokeswoman for Scotland Yard said: “Many people abandoned their vehicles in the middle of the A406, making their way to the store on foot. This has caused severe traffic difficulties.”

More than 20 people suffered heat exhaustion, many of them as they fought their way up the escalators, in the 30 minutes before managers decided to shut the store.

Some customers had to be taken out on stretchers, while others were given first aid by staff on the shop floor. Six people had to stay in hospital overnight.

A stabbing in a nearby Tesco petrol station was initially linked to Ikea, but police said later that they believed it was gang-related. Almost all the 500 three-seater, £45 special- offer leather sofas, reduced from £325, were sold in the 30 minutes after the store opened.

Karyn Christian, 38, a civil servant from Edmonton, started queueing at midday on Wednesday to get one of the prized leather sofas. She said that it was chaos when the store opened. “When they opened the doors I was pushed aside and sprained my ankle. My cousin was pushed over. When we got inside, I saw people pulling at different ends of a sofa, shouting, ‘Mine! Mine!’ and others lying on the sofas trying to stop others carrying them away. It was like nothing I have ever seen before.”

She said that a fellow customer had threatened her with a wooden mallet. Yesterday the store delivered the wrong sofa, so she returned to complain — only to find it closed.

Dwayne, 24, from Enfield, said: “There were people literally fighting over a £45 sofa. One woman collapsed and a man carried her out on his shoulders.”

John Olie, Ikea UK’s deputy manager, said the company was “totally shocked and overwhelmed” by what had happened, and blamed queue-jumpers for inflaming tempers. “We didn’t predict this at all. We’ve opened 12 stores in the UK and we have had opening offers before.”

He denied that the special offers were irresponsible. There was blanket advertising on billboards and local papers at the opposite end of the capital in Richmond. “We were just totally overwhelmed by the number of visitors that we had,” he said.

Mr Olie said that the building had two entrances, but one had to be closed to keep customers and workers safe. “We are really, really sorry.”.

Later in the morning hundreds of potential customers and workers turned up at the store, which was displaying a huge “open” banner. But Mr Olie said that it was unlikely to re-open before the weekend, and there would be no more bargains for the time being.
http://www.timesonli...1479158,00.html

I've just found a problem here - the idea of someone sitting on a flatpack sofa kit screaming "MINE, MINE!" doesn't quite work.

Ah, those crazy Brits. Start a punch-up for a sofa, spend three days trying to assemble it, watch as it collapses in three years. Clever...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#2 User is offline   kdogg Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:19 AM

Reminds me of the annual Filene's wedding gown event over here (dresses for $249).

#3 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

I'm not sure whether I should just sigh and shake my head or burst out laughing...
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#4 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:37 PM

I think its quite laugh worthy. But then again, I would like to punch someone over a sofa and not be singled out of a mob of bargin shoppers.

Please note the banner ads on this page.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#5 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:03 PM

Jane, I vote sighing and then stabbing them all in the face. They are rioting over bloody flaming rotting cursed infernal FURNITURE. I could see something like this happening in Ethiopia over bread, or in America over a television set, but come on, England. You're supposed to be better than us.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#6 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:12 PM

Actually, I remember there was an article about people getting trampled in a Wal*Mart over portable DVD players last year...

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
XD

#7 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:53 PM

He denied that the special offers were irresponsible. There was blanket advertising on billboards and local papers at the opposite end of the capital in Richmond. “We were just totally overwhelmed by the number of visitors that we had,” he said.

Advertising Causes Rise In Customers Shock!

Less Is More v4

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:10 PM

that was the funniest thing i have ever read...

i laughed so hard, especially at all the injuries...

maybe next time i say: "99% of the human population are insects"
people won't take it so personally and get so needlessly offended.

fucking scum, absolut primordial pond scum!

AH HAHAHAH AHAH AHAHAHAHA AHHAHAHAH bleeding nose AH HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH sprained ankle AHAHAH HAAHAHHAAHAHA

#9 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:13 AM

UPDATE: Since the article was published, I've learned that five people died as a result of that shambles of an opening...

Less Is More v4

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:03 AM

i stand by my insensitive and controversially apathetic remarks.

fucking consumer greed.

i'll bet ten bucks that not one of those savages who walked away with a cheap sofa feels bad about it.

infact... they could make millions if the sold the surveilance camera footage to a major television network... think about it

the new reality show: SHOP TILL YOU DROP.

ah the worlds going in wonderful directions

#11 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (Slade @ Feb 13 2005, 03:03 PM)
I could see something like this happening in Ethiopia over bread, or in America over a television set, but come on, England. You're supposed to be better than us.

Since when is that true? Have you seen what those savages do over a soccer match?
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#12 User is offline   kdogg Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:43 AM

i.e. The "Chelsea Smile"

#13 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:54 AM

Well, not all of us go around beating up people because our team won a football match! They are the demographic that equates to our Rednecks, the sort of hiedious creature that actually enjoys reality television, and reads The Sun newspaper. Basically, what I imagine 7/10s of my old classmates to turn into. Oh dear...

Less Is More v4

#14 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:36 PM

Exactly. The scum of a society happens to make up it's majority. Just look at who's been voted into power.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#15 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:56 PM

Ah, so that's who they are! You have no idea how much better that makes me feel about my location.

XD

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size